I found the article about the different types of beer in Germany beyond fascinating. I've always known that the taste and quality of the biggest American beers absolutely pale in comparison with Deutsch Bier, but I had no idea there were over 1200 breweries in the nation and over 5000 different types!
I knew Lager was a popular German type of beer, that there were many different kinds (colors, tastes, alcohol content) within the Lager family, and that the name 'Lager' comes from the German word for "to store" (i could certainly be wrong). But it struck me that the Pils style is much more common.
I also made the connection between the German name for ale, which is "Alt", or "old". It makes complete sense, considering that the brewing methods for ale date back farther and still require less technology than a lager brew.
I'd really like to try some of the Bavarian beers, like the Bockbier or Starkbier, which are described as nothing like the mass-produced beer in the US.
And as much as the German brewing culture is fascinating, the traditions behind drinking are noteworthy too. Toasting with a resounding "Prost!" is a must, as is eye contact between drinking partners. This aspect, to me, is in stark contrast with the general idea that Germans are a pessimistic group, considering how much thought and respect goes into having a good time drinking mit Freunden.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.