For my final AMD - the AMD of all AMDs - I watched an episode on Looney Toons called Holzfäller-Hase, which means "Lumberjack Hare". In the episode, Bugs Bunny finds himself in the territory of Paul Bunyon, seeing a huge axe labeling 'Paul Bunyon' stuck in a tree trunk. Bugs then encounters Herr Bunyon's gigantic dog, who is roughly eight billion times the size of Bugs. As always, Bugs Bunny just barely escapes what seems to be an impending death.
Easily my favorite aspect of the episode was that Bugs kept breaking into some catchy song every time he tried to go about his lumberjack business. I would be very curious to compare the English version of the episode to this. In the episode auf Deutsch, Bugs' song rhymed, which means they couldn't have translated it literally from English. It would be very interesting to see how closely the interpreters were able to keep the meaning of the song while maitaining the rhyming pattern.
I was surprised with how easily I was able to understand the dialogue. Though I didn't always know the vocabulary, I could tell what words they were saying and see them spelled out in my mind. At the beginning of the course, I read somewhere on the website or syllabus or something that the German language was spelled exactly like it sounded, and having been exposed to all or most of the different sounds and syllables of the language at this point in my studies, I can confirm this. Not that I was skeptical before.
I know I'm going to have Bug Bunny's little working tune stuck in my head for at least two days, but I don't mind because it's a damn catchy tune. At the end of the episode, Bugs and the collosal canine become friends, which added a very nice touch. Another great scene was when a regular sized moose appears after the giant dog blows the horn, and then takes one look at the dog and runs away (it loses its comedic value when converted to text, but just take my word for it). So far, I've watched a three episodes of Bugs Bunny auf Deutsch, and I've thoroughly enjoyed each of them. This may become a regular thing for me, even outside of AMDs.
Auf wiedersehen!
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.