http://german.about.com/od/vocabulary/a/denglish.htm
Sonntag, 13. November 2011
AMD #5
For the fifth AMD I read the Wikipedia article on Denglisch and an article that went further into Denglisch with names like "GI Deutsch" and "Über German". Both articles were absolutely fascinating, but I found the second article on Denglisch, GI Deutsch, and Über German a bit offensive since it blamed the English language for intruding on the German language. The author, along with well-educated Germans, states that the English language has led to the demise of the German language. This I find both an attestment to how powerful and relevant the United States is on the international stage and very offensive as an English speaker. For one, Germans are the ones using Denglisch. They choose to use the mixture of the languages. The second article states that there are German words for some of the Denglisch words, but others are completely untranslatable. Also, since the majority of Europeans speak more than their native language due to close proximity to other languages, the English phrases in the German language and advertisements should come to no one's surprise but traditionalists and the elderly. I find nothing wrong with the English phrases in German advertisements because Germans know English. Denglisch is nothing but slang that everyone uses and is not the demise of anything. Moving away from that tirade, I found the GI Deutsch and the Über German quite interesting and humorous. GI Deutsch or Germlish is a result of the members of the US Army stationed in Germany. Über German is the phenomenon of using über with or without the umlaut to describe something as significant or large. All in all, the Denglisch, GI Deutsch/Germlish, and Über German are all interesting forms of both the German language and English language.
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.