Mittwoch, 21. September 2011

AMD1 - Sonya Schumann

For my first AMD assignment, I watched half of a German film called SoulKitchen on Netflix. Here is a link from IMDB about it:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1244668/

In the beginning of the movie, we meet a man who runs his own restaurant called SoulKitchen. He also rents out a side space to an old man. The old man is rude and behind on the rent. The main character seems to be barely making it. His girlfriend has just taken a job in China, and they've been fighting about it. He doesn't want to leave his restaurant, but she wants him to go with her. He goes with her family to dinner at a very expensive restaurant to say goodbye, but while they're there, they watch the head chef get fired for his high temper.
He also has a brother who was just released on parole. His brother takes advantage of him for a job, but he doesn't actually do any work.
While at work he injures his back. I learned the word for sick: krank. Also, the invalid is Der Krank.
He decides to find a new cook for his kitchen so that he can move to be with his girlfriend. He hires the fired chef from the other restaurant, who changes his whole menu.
Then he runs into an old friend from grade school. The friend wants to buy his building, but he doesn't want to sell. So the old friend makes a call to the health inspectors and lies, saying he got food poisoning from his kitchen.
I stopped halfway through. I noticed a lot of drinking and cursing in the film. It's part of the German culture, as is the food. Most everything was fried, but the fancy chef had some beautiful meat dishes. I got some great ideas for German foods, and I really want to try schnitzel.
More German culture to come. Tchuss!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.