Montag, 5. Dezember 2011

Kultur 6

"Bild Zeitung Rules Germany". Wow. I had no idea Germany would allow such a racy paper to continue to be published even during the time of the Soviet Union. I was trying to think of papers in the US that would be similar to what Bild Zeitung does. At 2 in the morning, my imagination could only stretch as far as The Onion, and to my understanding, The Onion is fully fictional as opposed to Bild Zeitung, which is filled with exaggerated but factual stories. I find it hilarious that a big-breasted blonde still takes front cover priority over Angela Merkel's prestigious award, making it clear that no matter what happens in history, Bild Zeitung stays true to it's mission.

"Come on In, My Door is Always Closed" was a short, but helpful article. I never know how to approach someone for something I need them to do because I feel it depends on the person's mood. I find I am slightly uncomfortable walking in to a room whether the door is open or closed in the US, and as a result I tend to tip toe in either way. (I have also found that starting off timid is generally better than the later because it makes the person feel in charge of the situation. Of course, as the interaction progresses I can return to my normal self with ease)
With that in mind, I'll remember to switch my mindset in Germany; I'll be sure to knock loud and enter with confidence.

"Worshiping the Garbage Gods" had me laughing so hard I thought it best to start writing before I disrupted EVERYONE in this study room. Hailing a cab because one couldn't figure out the ticket machine? Green glass and brown glass? No recycling on Sundays? I certainly didn't notice this during my stay in Germany, but that may have been because we were guests who used a private means of transportation most of the time. Coming from a place (My horrible building in NY) that essentially doesn't have a recycling program, this is the other extreme. I think I could get used to and prefer the German extreme to the one, or lack of one at home.

Last but not least, "Wo Studentin Wohnen" seemed to take on somewhat of a "pity me, this is all we have" vibe when this is the case in many universities around the world. One thing I did find interesting was that off-campus housing is more expensive than on-campus, which is definitely opposite in Ann Arbor. (I wonder if that's the case in NYC as well...) I supposed I can sympathize with the no convenient dining hall aspect. Despite the Freshman 15, I did like the convenience of fresh or cooked food my first year in college.

Tschüss!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.