Mittwoch, 14. September 2011

Kultur1

Guten Tag,

This article was sehr interessant. My father's side of the family has some German heritage, so I was curious to find out what kinds of German cultural things had stuck around. I had never heard of the "German Belt", but that's not where my family had settled. The bit about log cabin fascinations was amusing, as my grandfather owns a log-cabin-esque farmhouse. He has also ironically chosen to decorate it with several Native American artifacts, even though we have no Native American heritage.
I've always enjoyed watching the US gymnastics team perform at the Olympics.
The Pennsylvania Dutch are quite a phenomenon in the US, maintaining the German language as well as the culture that they have held for generations. I was unaware that the Pennsylvania Dutch were not the same as the Amish. If they didn't separate themselves for religious reasons, why did they?
Milwaukee is called "the most unconsciously German city in America" because of its love of beer, brat, and cheese. I went to Milwaukee last year, and I did run into a lot of German-decorated breweries. It seems that a large majority of German culture and association takes place around Milwaukee, or Wisconsin in general.
I grew up watching The Sound of Music a ton of times (it's my mother's favorite movie). It seems so common to me, but the bit about Bambi was such a shocker! I didn't know that there were such strong political undercurrents in the story.
Can't wait to see the next one!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.