Mittwoch, 14. September 2011

Ich Bin Deutsche-Amerikaner!

Guten Abend,

Reading the article, I found a lot of interesting information on the German influence towards American culture such as the brewing culture, the adoption of Oktoberfest celebrations around the country in many cities with no distinctly German ties, and the almost complete relocation of the Amish to the US and Canada.
More specifically, I found one line to be really intriguing. The author states about the city of Milwaukee: it could now be called "the most unconsciously German city in America".
I think the idea of being "unconsciously German" is incredibly present in American culture and in many American people today. I myself can identify with being "unconsciously German." For me, when listing off my heritages I almost always begin "Irish, Swedish, Welsh,..." and trail off before I get to say "German." It's not that I don't want to be identified with German heritage, it's just that I typically forget that it's in me. It's not something that I ever thought was outwardly expressed in appearance like the typical Swedish blonde hair and blue eyes, so I would forget about it in a way. I can't think of anything specifically German in my family traditions, like I can for my Irish heritage (corned beef, cabbage, potatoes always in surplus at my grandparents' house).
It also came to mind that a lot of aspects mentioned in the article are easily described as "unconsciously German." So many American traditions and icons are either German by influence or origin, but American culture tends to take these for granted or claim as their own. The popularity of what I call "tubular meats" (sausages, bratwursts, etc..) can really be tied to Germany although the idea of a hotdog in a ballpark is typically the pinnacle of American identity.
Ich spreche nicht deutsch, but it was still fun!

Gute Nacht!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.